The human body is beautiful and its designed to move and work for a lifetime. The body will allow you to move through space and accomplish everything needed to live a normal daily life. But as you age you move less and less, this has a direct correlation to the amount of exercise you accomplish daily in your life.
- As you age so does the rest of your body.
- The older we get the more pain we experience.
- With more pain comes more rest which gives us more body fat.
So how do you stop the cycle of pain and body aches and pain, well you use nutrition, the components of fitness and exercise. Sounds simple because it is
simple, the reason we get confused is that of all the misinformation online and how to stay fit as you age requires some work but not much.
I can not begin to count the number of diets on television and online. There are high protein, low carbs diet, high carbs low protein, Atkins diet, Mediterranean diet, Weight Watchers, Keto diets, etc. Do all of these diets work yes but;
- Some require lots of work and time.
- A couple of them require you to buy their foods.
- You have to prepare meals in advance.
So you spend time buying them and then you spend time making them and finally you eat them.
- Do I eat 3X a day or 6x a day
- When do I eat it
- How do I eat it
- How many times
- Do I drink shakes
The list goes on and on, do any of these people have real jobs with real families. I mean, I all ready cook dinner for my family and now you want me to also cook separate meals for me. Yea! right, twice the effort and twice the time and I have to go to work tomorrow. Then they say, go shopping and prepare all your meals on the weekend when you have more time. Sure this sounds great after such a lovely work week I can come home and do more work!
Does any of this sound familiar to you? well many diets work and you will lose the weight but;
- It is not sustainable in the long run.
- It is not cost effective.
- The weight will come back after you stop using the diet.
So what is the answer, I do not know if there is a right answer to such a complex question because the body likes to maintain weight. But, I will tell you what works for me intermittent fasting. And this is the fancy term for not eating, for me I pick an 8-hour window to eat which is from 10 am to 6 pm and the rest of the time I do not eat. This gives me 16 hours of fasting from 6 pm to 10 am the next morning and helps me fall into the ideal fasting hours that exist between 12-36 hours. Do this at least 5 days a week and I gaurantee you will lose fat and feel healthier.
So how do I do it?
- Eat for 8 hours during the day mine is from 2pm through 10 pm
- Only drink water, coffee no sugar.
- You can drink diet drinks
- Drink plenty of water at least 8 cups.
So will I lose weight?, I have and it steady losing 1-2 pounds a week and feeling less hungry the more I fast during the fasting periods. Your body adapts so consult your doctor to get started and keep eating what you love and exercising this all works.
Exercise Has Components?
As we grow older we get weaker and our bodies begin to break down because of inactivity and lack of exercise.
Our bodies are like engines, they require daily activities to function, a cars engine needs starting everyday and driven on the road. Like a car we also need to be run daily but unlike a car we need exercise and we achieve this through the 5 components of fitness listed below;
- Muscular Strength– This is pure body power, like how much can you bench press 1 time.
- Muscular Endurance– Being able to do a certain physical activity for a long time.
- Cardiovascular Endurance– Doing something nonstop that elevates your heart rate while working the lungs for at least 20 minutes.
- Flexibility–Your joints being able to move through a full range of motion.
- BodyFat– Amount of fat mass as compared to your muscle mass, bones and organs.
Got it!, exercises has components now what;
- Now create a program that will use all of these components and work for you.
- See a doctor if you are over 40
- You should be able to cover all of this in under 60 minutes.
- I use the SoloFlex muscle machine and have for over twenty years and BowFlex 1090 Dumbbells which were bought recently.
- Warm up on the treadmill for at least 5-10 minutes.
- Muscular and Cardiovascular Endurance to walk or run on the treadmill for 20-30 minutes while keeping your heart in your target heart rate zone (220-age=target zone).
- Decrease your body fat by doing an aerobic activity for 20-30 minutes a day.
- Increase your strength by doing 3 sets of 8-12 repetitions of a full body workout at least 3X a week, or 1 body part a day for Monday through Friday, (IE. Chest on Mondays, Back on Tuesday, Legs on Wednesday, Shoulders on Thursday and Arms on Friday.)
- Increase your Flexibility by doing stretches at the end of the workout.
Wrapping it up
So as you can see it does not take much effort to stay fit as you age. I am over 50 years old and do a 60-minute workout Monday through Friday and rest on the weekends because the weekend belongs to my family. I know that this formula works for me and believe that it can work for you with a few changes. Just because you are older does not mean you give up. It means you have to get up and exercise do not let society dictate what you can and can not do. I mean you are in the best years of your life you have more wisdom and more money. So enjoy, use moderation and workout Monday through Friday it works. Buy the SoloFlex Muscle Machine, Bowflex 1090 Dumbbells and the Incline Trainer and you will be on your way to better health.
Stay Alert and Stay Alive!
Start your own adventure at Wealthy Affiliate